For the last seven nights, I’ve shared memories of Chanukahs past with my family. Here’s a bit of candle-lighting I did myself this year:
Selective explanations for some of the items in my menorah:
- the telephone booth: a gift from my older sister, when she went to London before I had a chance to go. She knew how much I wanted to visit the UK.
- the Tardis: a gift from my brother, a fellow Whovian and a total nerd, way nerdier than me (hi, Chaim!)
- the stone in front of the Tardis: a gift from a friend in high school from her trip to Israel.
- the pentacle: a gift from a friend.
- the Rosetta Stone souvenir: from the British Museum on my first trip to the UK.
- the two bottles of alcohol: from my trip to Germany for a friend’s wedding.
- the acorn: I almost stepped on it and crushed it on my way to teach on the first day of the fall semester this year. It accompanied me to class and then came home with me instead.